Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Beginnings


It's hard to believe, but Lyla turned 2 weeks old yesterday! I spent some time earlier today reflecting on our labor experience and finished writing it down (before I forgot it all!) and I'm just amazed at how time has already flown by. The last few days, Lyla has been more alert and curious about her surroundings, drawn to the overhead lights, the fan, and her leaf mobile above her changing table. She's also enjoyed some floor time with mommy and daddy, looking at herself (or something) in the mirror. Of course, she loves to be close and be cuddled by her family throughout the day. And she loves her sleep - so much so that we have to pull out all measures to wake her for a feeding!

A few things we've learned about our daughter's growing personality: She's a very happy baby and content most of the day. But, she's also very vocal about the things she does not like ie. being swaddled at night, having her diaper changed, and taking a bath! She is both strong physically and strong-willed (or stubborn). You guys can guess who she got that wonderful trait from :) She's an absolute joy and we are loving being her mommy and daddy!

Michael and I are handling this new parenting thing pretty well...nights of course, being the most challenging time. It's amazing how much sleep you can give up and still feel mostly together during the day. And all those baby books I read during my pregnancy - out the window. There's nothing like real life, in the moment challenges to make you forget everything you're "supposed" to do. Luckily, when I've felt overwhelmed or unsure of how to handle something I've been able to refer to my resources pretty quickly. It doesn't take long for me to feel confident again and reassured that we're doing a pretty good job for 1st timers. The hardest part I think is just remembering that we're not perfect and we may not get it right the first time. We just have to trust our instincts, seek help when we need it, rest when we can, and love on our baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment