Saturday, May 7, 2011

Love is a Song


The latest song from Switchfoot, 'Your Love is a Song', has been the perfect soundtrack to all the drama that's been going on in our house over the last several weeks. With all of the crap that has seemed to rain down on us lately, somehow we've managed to still find the laughter and joy that each day has to offer. Moreover, we've discovered how our love for one another has changed, grown more deeply and evolved. It's a song of sorts. It has shown itself in so many ways…it has highs and lows, some of it has been messy and unexpected, and other times it has come more naturally and in the usual ways we think about experiencing love. In the latter, I have had the joy of laughing with Lyla and delighting in her growth and discovery of her world. I celebrated, with Michael, our 4 year wedding anniversary in Fredericksburg, TX, where we were able to get away from our day-to-day lives and devote a full day to each other, uninterrupted (well mostly – Lyla did travel with us). Love exists in the quiet of the early morning where you baby girl eagerly awaits the warmth of your arms. It lives in the middle of the night when your mother needs your help because she can’t do it herself. It’s chicken salad, “made just for you,” and it’s baked golden into loaves of poppy seed cake. On the really tough days, this is what I have to remember…


And then love showed up where I least expected it. When Ditty was at home trying to recover from her initial broken femur she needed a lot of care. What at first began as just another “to do” on the long list became a time of tenderness and connection for the two of us. I met her then fragile spirit with compassion and humility. How hard it must be, to be forced to relinquish your independence and your “place” in this world. How she longs to have her young body back – her life back. It was after helping her during her nightly bedtime routine for a few weeks that I think we both knew our relationship had grown from just “in-laws.” Our late night conversations revealed to each other our true hearts. She would get so flustered because she couldn’t believe that I was having to take her socks off for her or help her into the bed. I reminded her that the best love sometimes comes when you're able to serve someone who's in need. And it was in serving her that I truly came to know her and love her more.



As we honor all of our moms this Mother's Day, I can't help but think of what an amazing woman Ditty is. She is, in many ways, the kind of mom I want to be. No- I didn't say she was perfect :) But she gets the important things right. She has given so much of herself and sacrificed alot so that she could help take care of her grown daughter and her grandsons. There's not a thing she wouldn't do to help out her family. But, mostly it is in the little, subtle things that she does. At dinner time, she would often make sure Michael got the biggest piece of meatloaf or seconds on mashed potatoes. It might be that she surprised him with a new shirt because he got a new job. Or making his favorite dessert, just because he likes it so much. Love for her is getting up two to three times in the middle of the night to make sure her daughter is alright - she's been doing this for years now. While visiting her at the hospital a few days ago we held hands as she rested and I updated her on the happenings at the house. She stopped me to say, "Who would have ever thought you'd be here by my side, holding my hand like this? Darling, what would I do without you?" Wow, how humbled I was, and incredibly moved. Because I, too, couldn't have pictured that even one year ago. But, what I did know a year ago was that God had something amazing planned for our family. Michael and I knew that this would be hard and not go without it's challenges. But it's for that reason, and many more not mentioned, that we know we're doing exactly what we're supposed to be doing. And that make's it all worth it.


As you remember your mom this Mother's Day, think of the little subtle ways she loves you - does it come with an extra serving of mashed potatoes? For me, it comes in banana cream pie, lots of hugs, poetry, long talks on the phone, making a cup of coffee for me in the morning, and cooking my favorite dinners when I visit, just to name a few. Thank you so much mom...I love you!



Happy Mother's Day!


To watch Lyla's choir audition, click on the link below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment