Saturday, July 16, 2011

Even Super Heroes Need a Break - don't they??


Where do I start? The last several weeks have been jam packed with stuff, events, travel, and more stuff! I've recently realized I've been running on empty for the last leg of this summer journey and was going to give out if I didn't take a few moments to rest, catch my breath, and "refuel." For me, half the battle is actually just stopping. I finally gave myself a small break the other evening and relieved myself (with Michael's help of course :) from all responsibilities. For one hour I read a chapter out of The Stand and then took a luxurious nap. And can you believe it, the house and everyone in it did not fall apart! (It would have taken at least a couple hours for panic to set in ;-) Why is that so hard for me to do?? And why is it so hard to ask others for what you need or for help? Because I find it incredibly difficult to surrender my She-Ra cape! I always did prefer her to Wonder Woman. Right now, I'm just trying to find the joy in what my days have to offer, strength and rest when the weekly schedule is full and unrelenting, inner peace when things don't go my way, and hope that some of this chaos is only temporary. After a terrible no good very bad day, a few days ago, I was able to come on the other side of my mountain and find that I still have it in me to give. I just needed a little recharge, a couple of good cries, and I'm ready to go again. Only this time, I have to remember that while I'm helping take care of everyone in this house, that I'm a part of it too. Mental note: "Schedule 'Me-Time' on iPhone." Although hectic, we have had a great start to the summer. Here are the clips and highlights from our early summer days:



* In early June, we spent a long weekend in Dallas for the Pomeroy Family Reunion. Cousins, aunts, and uncles came from all over to take part. But, I was most excited that my sister and nephews ended up coming in for the big sha-bang! Aside from some of the normal family drama that happens when you get a lot of people together, everyone had a great time. Not only was the main event fun, but we also spent time that weekend swimming with our cousins, going to the Dallas aquarium, and just hanging out.


* Within a few days from getting home from the reunion, I was already beginning to prepare us for our trip to California. We flew into San Diego, where we stayed with my cousin


Dustin and his wife Michelle, out at their mini "farm." They have a cute little house with about an acre of land where they not only have a few dogs and cats to keep them company, but lets throw in a couple of sheep while we're at it! It was wonderful and Lyla rather enjoyed spending her mornings laughing and watching all the animals. While in San Diego we got a few hours of beach time in, some good grub, and great family time with not only my cousins, but also Michael's dad. We, then, spent a night in Santa Monica where we walked around the 3rd Street Promenade and ate at The Beanery. And finally, we arrived at the destination that originally brought us to California: Los Angeles. The main event going on for us was, of course, the L.A. Film Festival! But with all the bustle, we managed to squeeze in some Roscoe's chicken and waffles, which was quite an experience!




So, the L.A. Film Festival - was AMAZING! As you know, Michael's film company, Matter Media Studios produced their film, An Ordinary Family, last summer. They had their world wide premiere on Sunday, June 19th. How exciting it was to watch this amazing film, written and produced by Mike Akel and Matt Patterson, on the big screen! The only thing that was missing for me was a bag of popcorn and a Dr. Pepper which I forgot in all the excitement and craziness! To sit amongst the SOLD OUT crowd of first time viewers and hear their reactions, their laughter, was wonderful. The screening of An Ordinary Family brought the cast and crew back together to celebrate this wonderful work of art - and they all had a hand in it! I'm so proud of everyone and the hard work they poured into it! I'm especially proud of Michael for all the sacrifice and work he did in the infancy of this film, for without him, we probably wouldn't have been watching the film at the L.A. Film Festival a few weeks ago. The film has received numerous stellar reviews so far and they hope to make it to another film festival and hopefully even be picked up by a good distributor.


* Ditty came home last weekend after a long stay at the Rehabilitation Center. She's taking it nice and slow so she doesn't end back up in that place! Over the next few weeks we'll have a full-time caregiver to make sure she has someone with her at all times. It's been so nice having her back at the house - we've sure missed her presence and the laughter she brings.



* Just as we were gearing up for Ditty's homecoming, we were preparing for Ginger's major surgery. She had a major procedure done last week that will hopefully help with the stiffness and spasticity of her legs. So far, it seems to have really helped. We can't wait to see how this affects her life in the long-term. If anything, we think this will make her more comfortable throughout the day, easier to lift and transfer, and less prone to other health conditions. Just one more week of physical therapy and she'll be back home!



* Lyla and I took another trip back to Dallas to have some good "girl-time." We spent the weekend with Candice and her boys and just vegged out. Of course, we made sure to fit in a pizza night with Michelle and Chad. While in Big D, Lyla also got a chance to meet Julie and her baby girl, Juliette. I think they're going to be pals :)


* We celebrated Ginger's 60th birthday on June 30th. We had a great meal out with the family and topped it off with gifts and chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting!




O-kay...I'm out of breath. And you're probably out of attention-span (a few paragraphs back I imagine). Now that you know where we've all been...here's a few tid bits about Lyla. She' AMAZING! But you already know that :) Almost 7 months old and is sitting up by herself and rolling over (from her tummy to her back). For those who have not recently been in her presence, she is incredibly vocal. She ranges from a low growl to a high-pitched squeal that would give any 3 year old little girl some competition. Lyla is so expressive and such a sweet sweet baby. She lights up my life each and every day!




Don't forget to check out pictures from all of the events mentioned above! We have some great videos capturing some of Lyla's milestone moments as well.

To view pictures of Lyla swimming, Pomeroy Family Reunion, and more, click here.


To watch a video of Lyla rolling over, click here.


To watch a video of Lyla sitting up, click here.


To see Lyla playing the piano with Daddy, click here.


To see Lyla swimming, click here.







No comments:

Post a Comment